Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Eric Church Ruffles Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert's Feathers with Reality TV Comments...


Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert aren't very happy with Eric Church. In a new interview in Rolling Stone, Eric bluntly shares his feelings on artists that get their start on musical competition shows like The Voice and American Idol.

He says, "Honestly, if Blake Shelton and Cee Lo Green ----ing turn around in a red chair, you got a deal? That's crazy. I don't know what would make an artist do that. You're not an artist." The Rolling Stone writer notes that Eric raises his voice and becomes angry as he continues saying, "If I was concerned about my legacy, there's no ----ing way I would ever sit there [and be a reality-show judge]. Once your career becomes something other than the music, then that's what it is. I'll never make that mistake. I don't care if I ----ing starve."

Eric's Rolling Stone interview appears in the latest print issue only and has not been published online yet. Blake Shelton responded to Eric's comments with a tweet, "I wish I misunderstood this…"

Miranda wasn't so kind with her response though. She got her start on the TV talent competition Nashville Star and tweeted Monday, "Thanks Eric Church for saying I'm not a real artist. Or @kellyclarkson, @carrieunderwood & @keithurban. Your welcome from the tour in 2010."

Eric did serve as the opening act for Miranda on the road for part of 2010. Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood are both American Idol winners, and Keith Urban is currently serving as a mentor on Australia's version of The Voice. Eric released a statement late Monday clarifying the comments in Rolling Stone. He says they were "part of a larger commentary on these types of reality shows and the perception they create, not the artists involved with the shows themselves."

He goes on to explain that shows like The Voice and American Idol make it seem like artists can take a shortcut to success and don't show the hard work that goes into making a music career successful once the cameras stop rolling. "Every artist has to follow up television appearances with dedication towards their craft, but these shows tend to gloss over that part and make it seem like you can be ordained into stardom," says Eric. "I have a problem with those perceived shortcuts, not just in the music industry." Responding directly to Miranda's tweet, Eric adds, "I have a lot of respect for what artists like Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, and my friend Miranda Lambert have gone on to accomplish. This piece was never intended to tear down any individual and I apologize to anybody I offended in trying to shed light on this issue. " Eric expresses gratitude to the artists and fans that have helped him so far, and says he didn't mean for his "comments to undermine their talent and achievements."

No comments:

Post a Comment